My friends and I are readers. We enjoy books for the stories and the emotional draw, for the characters and their situations. We don't dig for editor's mistakes. We won't trash your book for missing punctuation or slightly misused grammar. We just want to enjoy the story. And we want all our friends to know just how awesome independent authors can be. This is the place where the little guy will always shine like a star!

Without further ado, please say hello to....

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Michele Montgomery


Book Title: Damit
Genre: M/M Contemporary / Light-DOM/SUB
Publisher: Seventh Window Publication
Links to purchase: 

Blurb: Escaping the past isn’t easy, especially when the scars left behind are a constant reminder that trust and love can hurt.

Michael McKnight knows what it means to be on the run from memories. Years ago, after fleeing an abusive relationship, he was brutally stabbed and left for dead. His only savior had been a compassionate stranger he’d only gotten a glimpse of before slipping into the blackness that claimed him.

For Michael, recovery was an arduous and hard fought return to some semblance of normalcy. He rebuilds his life, spending his waking hours buried in work and fighting to forget the past. And his life seems to be going well until he finds out that his cousin Wayne is being held captive in a mental asylum for being gay. So he buys a plane ticket and flies out to rescue his cousin.

But the weather is against Michael, keeping him grounded and talking to a man who claims that he’d once saved his life and is willing to help him rescue his cousin. Can this man be for real or is something more sinister in the works?

Review:
Reviewer:  Jaimie

I have always enjoyed mystery and suspense, whether on television or in a novel, I love to lose myself in the twists and turns of a plot.  "Dammit!" was no exception, with a fast-paced plot that kept my mind whirring, it had me anticipating the next twist.  I was unable to put the book down and though it was lengthy, I finished it in one sitting, ignoring everything as I lost myself in the world of Cash and Michael. 

The novel began with Michael waiting for a flight to Pittsburgh and during his wait, he met a few colorful characters.  The airport scene was one of my favorites in the entire book, and the characters just popped.  They were so vividly described, it felt as if I was an observer, watching the scene unfold.  The pace quickened as they arrived in Pittsburgh and it isn't long before the first plot twist is underway.  It was a rollercoaster of emotions as I read along and at parts, I admittedly wanted to smack a few of the characters- for their own benefit, of course.  But that is the beauty of "Dammit!" you become emotionally invested in the characters and the situation they have been thrown into.

After reading "Dammit!" I wanted more and could only hope to see a sequel someday featuring a few of the other secondary characters.  Particularly one featuring Bruce, who managed to steal a slice of my heart during the time he was featured.

I would highly recommend this book to readers of gay fiction, particularly readers that enjoy suspense novels.  Fans of other suspense writers, such as Josh Lanyon, would find themselves right at home in the world of Cash and Michael.  The plot will have you on the edge of your seat- or bed- and will have you hooked until the very end.  

Interview:

  1. Tell us a little bit about how “Dammit!” came to life. What inspired the story?
Dammit! Really was a story I started writing for me. I had a lot going on in my life, I had two other books I was working on and both of them were with “established” characters and I needed something I could do that was in no way related to anything but me. Sometimes I can get so involved in my characters and their lives, their thoughts and such that I can lose me. Well, I was at a crossroad on one of the Lethal Obsession stories with my editor, and the other Xbar, which will be available soon, with the characters themselves. I was trying to “connect” to real life people, who really do exist and mix elements that aren't always easy to mix. Fact/Fiction. So one day I began playing around with a character whose name is Michael. He is the male me, if that makes sense. I write a lot of angst, drama and the like that I needed to lighten something up for a bit, and Michael was my answer. The first chapter which is available to read over at ARE, pretty much gives you who and what Michael is about and what he's like. He's really an over-grown kid at heart with a lot of hurt in his life. So, in short, he came to me by way of me, to keep me balanced.

  1. Who is your favorite character and what makes them so memorable to you?
Michael is for sure. He is because he is the character who kept me smiling and laughing through the other two books I was writing at the time. As I said, he is me...in the male form.

  1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and what made you decide to write.
Well, I'm not too complicated, sort of boring really. Born and raised in Chicago, when I was eighteen I was hauled off to Tucson AZ and spent eighteen years there before moving to Colorado where I currently reside. I have three awesome kids and just about five grandkids and NO, I'm not OLD enough to be a granny that many times but my kids seem to think so. Truthfully, I am a whole lot more immature than they are. I began writing for fun when I was a kid, at 23 I started writing a story, “Behind Blue Eyes,” and that story and those characters helped me through a lot of rough spots in my life as a young mother. These characters are slowly being shown in the Lethal Obsession books. Behind Blue Eyes is the mother of those books and will become available in the next year or so. I started writing in the MM Genre on a dare from a friend. He said, write me a short MM story, let’s see what you got. That's when “Tony & Ryan,” came to life. They are both characters from Behind Blue Eyes. He said, write it with characters you already know so you’re comfortable at the start and there I went. It's a short and it will be undergoing a minor revision along with Lethal Obsession: Caged, and put into one print book especially for the retreat in October. I always have been a writer at heart and I'm very shy,a bit introverted and I find the best way for me to communicate is through writing.

  1. Any advice for aspiring authors?
This is a hard question for me because I feel I am still an aspiring writer. All I can say is stick to your guns, don't give up when you get stuck, find a couple beta readers who are painfully honest with you and never stop. If one story doesn't work for you, put it to the side and get another going and guess what will happen? You'll jump back to that other one and get it done. Drive yourself, let the characters lead you. Network your butt off while writing, keep positive, and put fingers to keyboard. And one more thing...be prepared to spend a lot of time by yourself with your characters. Writing is not something you can do while entertaining a houseful. Family members don't always understand. I still have issues with mine.

  1. Where is the best place to follow your work?
My website which is: www.michelelmontgomery.com  and I'm also on Facebook.

  1. Any additional comments?
I'd like to say that while it's important for your books to be reviewed, it's probably a better idea NOT to read those reviews and take everything that's said to heart. Remember, not all writers write the same. Their chosen Sub-Genre will make all the difference in the world for the readers. I don't consider myself a full romance writer. My stories have a darker side to them, more angst and such and there will be two or three HOT as hell D/s sex scenes in them with unique characters. So in saying that, a person who loves hot romance without any D/s action probably won't care for what I write.

Allison, thank you very much for having me.





2 comments:

  1. Jaimie,

    Thank you for the lovely review. I'm so glad you saw Michael and Cash for who and what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was my pleasure, Michele. I loved the boys. Thank you so much for sharing their story with us.

    ReplyDelete