My friends and I are readers. We enjoy books for the stories and the emotional draw, for the characters and their situations. We don't dig for editor's mistakes. We won't trash your book for missing punctuation or slightly misused grammar. We just want to enjoy the story. And we want all our friends to know just how awesome independent authors can be. This is the place where the little guy will always shine like a star!

Without further ado, please say hello to....

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Cynthia MacGregor


Book Title: Lighter Than Air
Genre: Children’s Fiction
Publisher: XoXo Publishing
Links to purchase: 
2. Amazon

Blurb: Paige’s goofy Uncle Larry, an inventor, invents a cookie that makes anyone who eats it lighter than air, so that the person floats. But the only way to get back to the ground is with a different cookie with the opposite effect. Paige, her brother, and her friend find that floating in the air isn’t all fun…especially when there’s no way to get back down!

Review:
Reviewer: Jessa

Cynthia MacGregor's "Lighter than Air" is a story about the misadventures of a young girl who wants something special for her birthday party. With the help of her Uncle, the inventor, Paige discovers that flying is not always as much fun as it seems especially when cookies are involved. MacGregor's work was a lighthearted, well-paced young adult novel that draws the reader into Paige's world where birthday parties and having fun are what is important.  Along with Paige we discover that what is easy or fun is not always what is safe.  I would recommend this novel for young and old readers alike because, as an older reader it was entertaining to remember a time when my next birthday party was the most important thing in the world.  As young adult fiction goes, "Lighter than Air" was fairly good but in my opinion, could have used more detail to enhance the relationship with the main characters.

Interview:

  1. Tell us a little bit about how Lighter Than Air came to life. What inspired the story?
Although Lighter Than Air is just now getting published, I wrote it back when the “Goosebumps” books were popular. It was written on assignment for a publisher who wanted to give the public more of what it so obviously wanted. Unfortunately that publisher abandoned his plans after assigning a multitude of mildly scary juvenile novels to proven writers, stranding three books of my own and rather a sizable number of books by other authors I know (as well as some authors I don’t know). None of them saw the light of print for many years, although XoXo Publishing has accepted both my three and fellow author (and friend) Deb McClatchey’s several books in this genre as well (also written for the abandoned project in question).

  1. Who is your favorite character and what makes them so memorable to you?
Now, you can’t ask me to play favorites! That’s like asking a mom which of her kids is her favorite!

  1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and what made you decide to write.
I am a full-time freelance writer/editor, who has lived in South Florida since 1984 and in New York City before that. I have been writing since I could spell “C-A-T” and can’t honestly say that anything “made me DECIDE” to write. There was no “decision” involved. I’ve just always been writing since age six. While the overwhelming bulk of my output is nonfiction, I never wanted to be a one-trick pony, so I do write fiction also for a change of pace. I have over 100 published books to my credit, not including books I ghostwrote for others. Many of my books are listed on my website, www.cynthiamacgregor.com, including most of the 54 books I had published conventionally and many of the over-50 e-books I’ve had published as well.  I’m so far from rich it isn’t funny, but I’m about as happy as a person can get. I often say there’s no one in the world I’d want to trade lives with…and I mean it!

  1. Any advice for aspiring authors?
1 – Don’t give up. 2 – Find your own unique voice and stick with it, rather than trying to sound like your favorite author or the best-selling author you can think of. 3 – Try your hand at different types and styles and genres and fields. Not only are there fiction and nonfiction, adult and juvenile, book-length and article/story-length, poetry and memoirs, there are also newspaper writing, press release writing, advertising copywriting, and a host of other types of writing apart from the ones that come to mind first. It’s still writing, y’know! If you love writing persuasive ad copy, that may be your niche. Mark Twain already wrote The Great American Novel—two of ’em, in fact. You might want to look elsewhere for your bliss.

  1. Where is the best place to follow your work?
I list all my new books on my website, www.cynthiamacgregor.com. I also announce them in the note from the publisher in my weekly eclectic ezine, EZine Does it, which is FREE to subscribe to, so you might want to check it out. If you want to subscribe—again, there’s NO COST—just send an email to ezinedoesit@cynthiamacgregor.com and put “SUBSCRIBE” in the Subject line. It goes out every Friday,

  1. Any additional comments?
Thank you for reviewing my book



No comments:

Post a Comment